Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Tis the Season

2011 Holiday Season is in the books. And, oh boy did we have fun!  Joe and I absolutely love Christmas and we have obviously passed on that love to our girls (and hopefully the twins also!).  I think that this past season has to be my all-time favorite.  For lots of reasons-the obvious being that the boys were home.  There were times during our hospitalization that I envisioned bringing decorations down to their room and having to decide how to celebrate with them even though their sisters wouldn't be able to visit them.  That was the worst-case scenario part of my brain working. Luckily I never had to put any of those plans into place. 

The less obvious reasons are how we spent our time and energy over the last few months.  Looking back all I can see and remember are all the great memories we made as a family.  And that is why I think this has been the best Christmas I have ever had.  Now, granted my kids received enough toys to open up their own store, so I can't say that we completely eliminated the consumerism and materialism that can be brought out this time of year.  But, we did so many other awesome things that I really believe counteracted those traits.

We braved the Minnesota winter and made our way to downtown Minneapolis to look at the Macy's holiday display and watch the Holidazzle parade...we even picked a great night, it was balmy 30 degrees!  We had our family pictures taken and even were able to take the whole family out to eat.  One of our favorite things to do, but takes considerable more planning with you are hauling around two infant car seats.  The girls and I baked and baked and baked.  We made cookies for our teachers and coaches.  For our local fire department and police station.  We sent cookies to our neighbors and friends.  This was not a Christmas where I could do alot of shopping since getting out of the house is almost a national holiday, but we had so many people we wanted to give to.  So, we gave cookies and homemade ornaments and we had so much fun together! 

We attended our first St. Jeromes fundraiser at Barnes and Noble.  Grace and Megan listened to stories, drank hot chocolate and hung out with their friends. We also had the treat of watching the entire St. Jeromes school put on a beautiful Christmas program. I have to give a big shout out the Mrs. Masson, their music teacher.  She did such an incredible job and it really showed in the program.  We read so many Christmas books that I lost track for Grace's reading sheet.  We watched Christmas movie after Christmas movie.  This is one source of great pride for me-the girls are officially hooked on Home Alone I and II and Elf.  Probably three of my favorite movies.  All time!  Now I have an excuse to watch them over and over again....the girls want to! 

We lit fires and made s'mores.  We played games in front of the fireplace.  Side note-both of the girls are very poor losers if you ever happen to play with them:)  Another side note-Joe and I are very competitive and have no problem beating the pants off of said children in a fierce game of Candyland:)

We donated food to the food shelf.  Baby stuff to a shelter for moms and their young children.  We cleaned out our house to make room for all the new stuff the kids received and they picked out toys they would like to give to kids who don't have nearly as much as they do. 

I was so proud of us.  We made this season about what is most important-family and giving.  And because of that I was really sad when it was over.  But, I know that next year things will be easier (and more organized-I made a few lists for 2012 already:)) and I am hoping that we continue to make great family memories and traditions for our kids to enjoy.  I hope everyone had an equally great season and that 2012 brings everyone happiness, joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment